Spend any amount of time trying to figure out how to reach your target audience, and one thing becomes instantly clear: It’s no walk in the park. Thanks to short attention spans, savvy consumers, and an ever-increasing number of products and services available to choose from, marketers today are challenged as never before to find new ways to rise above, cut through the clutter, and make a sale.
What does 2017 hold in store for those looking to do just that? According to a recent article published in Forbes, there are seven trends worth paying attention to.
Curious? Let’s jump in.
1. Dense content will be king. With attention spans now clocking in at a mere eight seconds (down from 12 seconds in the year 2000, according to a survey that Microsoft conducted on Canadian media consumption), it’s more important than ever before that marketers give content the royal treatment. From topic to headline to word selection and how it’s presented on the page, the savvy marketer will take the time in 2017 to churn out carefully curated content.
2. Content will get personal. When it comes to gaining attention, simply offering up dense content is just the tip of the iceberg. In 2017, marketers will be challenged to create highly personalized content that’s tailored to their demographic. Think niche-specific, narrow demographic and focused message, and you’ll be on your way.
3. Content will be immersive. To engage and involve a target audience and make them feel like they are an integral part of the brand, marketers will have to offer immersive experiences in the form of live workshops, webinars, and 360 videos.
4. Augmented Reality (AR) will become the marketer’s new reality. From apps to games to online ads, the AR experience is here to stay. In 2017, we’ll see more marketers allocating larger parts of their budgets to create memorable AR experiences for their customers.
5. Native advertising will grow in popularity. As more and more consumers reject traditional forms of advertising, it falls on marketers to devise alternative approaches that will grab — and hold — their target demo’s attention. Native advertising will be the vehicle through which many serve up that messaging in 2017 (and beyond).
6. Live streaming will go mainstream. A few weeks ago, Facebook rolled out a world-wide campaign to promote their live streaming function and it’s been trending like crazy ever since. In 2017, expect to see more apps and online platforms that offer this functionality.
7. Data visualization tools will fly off the shelves. “Total data immersion” has been the marketer’s mantra for a while now, but until recently, knowing how exactly to interpret the data collected has been hit or miss. In 2017, data visualization tools designed to do just that will become a popular addition to more and more marketers’ toolkits.
If you’re determined to make 2017 the year you raise visibility, increase market share, and win more hearts and minds, take note of these predictions for the new year and look for ways that you can use these tools and strategies to your advantage.